For this week's cover story, TIME editors assembled a panel of four thinkersMark Cuban, an Internet entrepreneur who also owns a basketball team, Andres Martinez, the editor of the Los Angeles Times opinion pages; Steven Johnson, an expert in technology and popular culture; and Caitlin Flanagan, a mother who writes about the American familyto talk about the trends that will shape our future.
- Listen to a podcast of the complete discussion (1 hr. 15 min.): Listen
- Excerpts from the panel:
- The Internet | Steven Johnson: The rise of "professional amateurs" Listen
- Politics | Andres Martinez: We're not as polarized as we think Listen
- Politics | Steven Johnson: Exposure to diverse ideas does not breed tolerance Listen
- Immigration | Caitlin Flanagan: The efficacy of social programs in light of immigrants' success Listen
- New Communities | Mark Cuban: We're no longer objective; we're all "joiners" now Listen
- Education | Mark Cuban: Our new
"open-book test" world
- Education | Steven Johnson: It's time for new tests Listen
- The Information Age | Andres Martinez: We need ways to cope with information overload Listen
- The Information Age: Is the
shower your last bastion of alone-time?