'This is the most humble day of my life.'
1. RUPERT MURDOCH, chairman and CEO of News Corp., testifying before a parliamentary committee hearing on the recent British tabloid phone-hacking scandal
'Such an act has grossly interfered in China's internal affairs, hurt the feelings of the Chinese people and damaged Sino-American relations.'
2. MA ZHAOXU, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman, condemning President Obama's spontaneous meeting with the Dalai Lama, Tibet's spiritual leader, whom Beijing considers a separatist
'Japan won because we played with 12 players--11 and the goalpost.'
3. TAKAHIRO INAGAWA, Japanese soccer fan, following Japan's victory over the U.S. in the Women's World Cup; several of the U.S. team's shots on goal hit the goalpost or crossbar
'I think that the Republican Party would be well advised to get the heck out of people's bedrooms.'
4. RUDY GIULIANI, former New York City mayor and potential presidential candidate, urging fellow GOP members to avoid the issue of gay marriage and to focus on the economy during the 2012 election cycle
'This may bring my presidency down, but I will not yield on this.'
5. PRESIDENT OBAMA, arguing for a long-term debt extension--as opposed to a short-term deal--which would prevent the U.S. from defaulting when its debt limit is reached on Aug. 2
Area, in square feet, of graffiti removed in FY 2011 by the city of Los Angeles; tagging incidents rose 8.2% from FY 2010 amid cuts in the city's graffiti-eradication budget
Number of earthquakes recorded near Christchurch, New Zealand, since a 7.1-magnitude quake hit in September 2010; a 6.1-magnitude aftershock in February resulted in the deaths of 181 people
Number of people killed in Ecuador by the consumption of bootleg liquor, prompting a 72-hour national dry law
Number of tickets purchased for the National September 11 Memorial and Museum on the day they went on sale; the memorial, at Ground Zero, opens Sept. 12
Sources: Guardian; AP; New York Times; Politico; ABC