Pictured at the left are eight men and women who recently took on or parted with newsworthy jobs. From the twelve hints below, identify each of the eight and write the number on the answer sheet.
1. He exploded his own chances to direct the Bureau of Mines.
2. His appointment to the U.N. brought a liberal share of howls.
3. Another distaff diplomat named as Ambassador.
4. She heads a new committee to define national issues.
5. The fight raged over who had the right to fire him.
6. From obscurity in the Pentagon to supremacy in the Far East.
7. Both parties applauded his nomination as...