PETA's Ingrid Newkirk
Since its founding in the United States in 1980, PETA has exported its activities to many countries abroad. In 1998, Newkirk caged herself at a night market in Taipei, Taiwan to protest the abusive trading of pets that PETA claimed took place there.
Top Stories on Time.com
- Videos Show Startling Size of Two-Mile-Wide Tornado in Oklahoma, Killing 51
- Inside the Boy Scout Battle to Repeal the Gay Ban
- Carney's Continuing Seige: Press Sec Plays Defense on Scandals
- Cosmic Graveyard: Looking for Life in an Unlikely Place
- Stymied by Socialist Policies, the French Start to Quit France