Author Robert Kiyosaki
Although Kiyosaki's father (left, holding young Robert in the photo above) held a Ph.D. and served at one time as the superintendent of education in Hawaii, he was often broke. The future author learned more about handling money by watching people like his best friend's father, who, though a high school dropout, went on to become the wealthiest man in the state. By age nine, Robert was stocking food in a local grocery store, but he found he made more money out on his own. He began renting books to other kids out of a makeshift library he created in a friend's basement.
Top Stories on Time.com
- Joe Klein: Would-Be Democratic Mayors Threaten to Return NYC to Horrors of 90s
- Let's Celebrate the One-Year Anniversary of Facebook's IPO by Ending Discussion of It!
- Richard Corliss Previews 29 Movies of Summer
- Toronto Mayor Denies Crack Allegations, But There Could Be Video Proof
- The Latest China-India Conflict Centers in the Indian Ocean