While still a student at Princeton University, Wendy Kopp developed a proposal to create a national teaching corps. Aimed at addressing education inequality in the United States, the idea gained traction upon her graduation, when she was able to raise $2.5 million, which she used to found Teach for America. Twenty years later, her ambitious endeavor has trained some of the nation's best and brightest college graduates to become teachers, lifetime leaders and thereby helped over 440,000 kids receive a stronger education.
Top Stories on Time.com
- Protests and Mosque Attacks Grip Britain After Brutal Killing of Soldier
- Exclusive: President Obama's 1979 Prom Photos
- Moore Picks Up the Pieces With the Help of FEMA and Friendly Neighbors
- Oldest Living American Turns 114: Longevity Secrets From Jeralean Talley
- Rana Foroohar: Apple's Tax Troubles Hint at Coming Corporate Crackdown