Function: From Student to Teacher
Elizabeth Venechuk, a Teach for America recruit and third grade teacher gives a lesson at Powell Elementary School in Washington. The Teach for America program places recent college graduates and professionals in schools in low-income communities around the country. In forming Teach for America, Kopp wanted to address the inequalities she saw in the American educational system, where income is often a factor in determining where a student goes to school. TFA provides a framework to recruit ambitious individuals who are not necessarily certified teachers, train them and put them to work in challenging environments and tough neighborhoods.
Top Stories on Time.com
- One Year After IPO, Facebook Is Just as Influential Even with a Low Stock Price
- Joe Klein: Would-Be Democratic Mayors Threaten to Return NYC to Horrors of 90s
- Richard Corliss Previews 29 Movies of Summer
- The Latest China-India Conflict Centers in the Indian Ocean
- Toronto Mayor Denies Crack Allegations, But There Could Be Video Proof