Opened in 1966, Caesars was Las Vegas's first foray into over-the-top themed opulence, and the classic bubbling fountains, trompe l'oeil ceilings, and Roman statuary live on in this ever-expanding empire. A $1-billion expansion in 2009 will include a new 665-room Octavius Tower, three new swimming pools, and a giant convention center. That's not to say options are limited now: The expansive, 1,000-room Augustus Tower is barely two years old, and all its rooms are a minimum of 650 sq. ft., with marble baths and oversize soaking tubs. You could check in and never leave this self-contained city, which has some of the best restaurants on the Strip. Bradley Ogden is a James Beard Award-winner; Payard Patisserie & Bistro has just opened an outpost; and unlike its legendary Harlem location, you can actually get a table at Rao's in Caesars Palace.
Insider Tip: Head to the marble halls of Appian Way to gawk at an exact replica of Michelangelo's David, made from Carrara marble.
Room to Book: Room 3762 in the Augustus Tower, with a sweeping view of the Strip.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- <i>World War Z</i>: Brad Pitt vs. the Zombies
- Germany Has Become the Cut-Rate Prostitution Capital of the World
- Who Should The Voice Want to Win The Voice?
- All of a Sudden, There Aren't Enough Electric Cars to Keep Up with Demand
- It's Official: Nook Tablets Are Now Ridiculously Cheap
- Starbucks is Adding Calorie Counts, But Will it Curb Consumption?
- Mind-Blowing: How to Fold a Shirt in Less Than Two Seconds
- Jay-Z, Samsung and the 21st-Century Patrons of the Arts
- Google Challenges NSA Secrecy in FISA Court
- Underage Teen Sex: Is a Girl Being Prosecuted for Being Gay?
- Starbucks Busted for Brewing with 'Toilet' Water in Hong Kong
- Oreo's Latest Limited-Edition Flavor: Watermelon
- Adding Red Meat to Your Diet Linked to Higher Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- How to Restore the American Dream
- Why They Build Mega Yachts in Central China — an Economic Mystery Story
- Want to Buy a Foreclosure? Here's What You Need to Know
- 50 Best Websites 2013
- Talk Therapy or Antidepressant? A Brain Scan Predicts Which Works Best for Your Depression
- More Breast-Feeding Could Save Billions and Prevent Thousands of Breast-Cancer Cases