Dubai: 10 Things to Do
Forget the seven-star property, the world's tallest tower, manmade islands, underwater hotels and buildings that spin like a Weeble with an inner-ear infection, what the city of Dubai really knows how to create is headlines. This little fishing-village-that-could has built an entire tourist industry out of piquing people's curiosity. Its unstoppable, finely tuned PR machine has managed to overcome every downside (how often do you hear that Saudi Arabia, Iran and Iraq are right next door?) to make the city a must-see location. And that's despite the fact that the region is full of sunny locales that have a lot more to offer Jordan, with its millennia-old civilization, the Red and Dead seas, incredible desert landscapes and the glories of Petra but generate a lot less interest.
That being said, Dubai has its virtues, so if you find yourself with 24 hours in the city, you'll have no shortage of things to do.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- Germany Has Become the Cut-Rate Prostitution Capital of the World
- <i>World War Z</i>: Brad Pitt vs. the Zombies
- Who Should The Voice Want to Win The Voice?
- All of a Sudden, There Aren't Enough Electric Cars to Keep Up with Demand
- It's Official: Nook Tablets Are Now Ridiculously Cheap
- Starbucks is Adding Calorie Counts, But Will it Curb Consumption?
- Jay-Z, Samsung and the 21st-Century Patrons of the Arts
- Google Challenges NSA Secrecy in FISA Court
- Underage Teen Sex: Is a Girl Being Prosecuted for Being Gay?
- 50 Best Websites 2013
- Starbucks Busted for Brewing with 'Toilet' Water in Hong Kong
- Oreo's Latest Limited-Edition Flavor: Watermelon
- Adding Red Meat to Your Diet Linked to Higher Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- Why They Build Mega Yachts in Central China — an Economic Mystery Story
- Talk Therapy or Antidepressant? A Brain Scan Predicts Which Works Best for Your Depression
- More Breast-Feeding Could Save Billions and Prevent Thousands of Breast-Cancer Cases