Nairobi: 10 Things to Do
A few years ago, when muggings, carjackings and kidnappings emptied out the city center, residents began referring to Nairobi as "Nairobbery." That's a little unfair. You shouldn't walk around at night and Kenya's dysfunctional government does little to improve crime or traffic or corruption or one of the world's biggest slums. But Nairobi today remains what it has long been: by day, the hectic, cosmopolitan hub of East Africa; by night, a malaria-free city of cool evenings and quiet tropical gardens, best enjoyed with a cool Tusker beer. Here are the 10 best ways to spend time in Nairobi.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- Obama Discusses Race, Fatherhood, Responsibility At Morehouse College
- 5 Tech Stocks You Should Have Bought Instead of Facebook
- What Is Tumblr?
- No. 1 'Star Trek' Averts Darkness But Doesn't Exactly Shine
- Yahoo-Tumblr: It's Not What You Buy, It's What You Do With It
- Lessons From the Singing Spaceman: What Governments Can Learn From Chris Hadfield
- Richard Corliss Previews the Movies of Summer 2013
- 50 Must-Have iPad Apps
- Forget the IRS — There's an Olive-Oil Scandal Afoot