Designed to resemble a grand Victorian seaside hotel (but with a Northwest craftsman style it was actually built in the early '80s), the waterfront RiverPlace easily has the city's best Willamette River views. Set at the southern edge of downtown, at a nice remove from the hustle and bustle, the property overlooks the grassy Governor Tom McCall Waterfront Park, a marina and a promenade lined with boutiques and sidewalk cafés. A library stocked with books and a glowing fireplace warm the lobby; on sunny days, guests can sit in teak rocking chairs on the porch, admiring boats on the river. The 84 rooms have earthy color schemes and Arts and Craftsinspired furniture, as well as Wi-Fi and CD and DVD players; many have separate sitting parlors. Three Degrees Restaurant and Bar turns out top-notch regional northwestern fare and has romantic water views. Fitness buffs will like the free passes to the city's best gym, the RiverPlace Athletic Club, just a five-minute walk away.
Room to Book: Rooms 325 and 425 are enormous fireplace suites with whirlpool tubs and panoramic views of the Willamette River, Governor Tom McCall Waterfront Park and the downtown skyline. Rooms ending in 02, 08, 16 and 17 also have terrific views.
Insider Tip: Guided kayak tours of the Willamette, offered through Portland Kayak Company, leave from the RiverPlace Moorage, adjacent to the hotel.
1. RiverPlace Hotel
1510 SW Harbor Way, Portland, OR 97201; 503-228-3233 45.511332-122.674245 More Info
2. Portland Kayak Company
6600 SW Macadam Ave., Portland, OR 97239; 503-459-4050 45.4763405-122.6717962 portlandkayak.com
3. RiverPlace Athletic Club
150 SW Montgomery St., Portland, OR 97201; 503-221-1212 45.508857-122.675427 therac.com
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- Germany Has Become the Cut-Rate Prostitution Capital of the World
- <i>World War Z</i>: Brad Pitt vs. the Zombies
- Who Should The Voice Want to Win The Voice?
- All of a Sudden, There Aren't Enough Electric Cars to Keep Up with Demand
- It's Official: Nook Tablets Are Now Ridiculously Cheap
- Starbucks is Adding Calorie Counts, But Will it Curb Consumption?
- Jay-Z, Samsung and the 21st-Century Patrons of the Arts
- Google Challenges NSA Secrecy in FISA Court
- Underage Teen Sex: Is a Girl Being Prosecuted for Being Gay?
- 50 Best Websites 2013
- Starbucks Busted for Brewing with 'Toilet' Water in Hong Kong
- Oreo's Latest Limited-Edition Flavor: Watermelon
- Adding Red Meat to Your Diet Linked to Higher Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- Why They Build Mega Yachts in Central China — an Economic Mystery Story
- Talk Therapy or Antidepressant? A Brain Scan Predicts Which Works Best for Your Depression
- More Breast-Feeding Could Save Billions and Prevent Thousands of Breast-Cancer Cases